Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Zeitgeist

One of my sisters mailed me a copy of this doc. It will play upon your nerves. Over only a few hours I've run into someone suggesting "idiots" buy into it, but that is not quite the same as responding with a logical counterpoint for the arguments.

Joseph Campbell's work had pointed out some similar qualities between gods through the ages, but this movie lays it out in a spoon-fed way that is actually effective in its thesis that suggests historic Jesus was invented. I won't go so far as to say that; it is no secret that the council of Nicaea coordinated celebrations like Christmas and Easter to appropriate to the pagan seasons already in place and that J. C. has been co opted by supposed followers over the years for unacceptable reasons.

I haven't really digested this yet, and frankly I can't resist integrating it into my movie now; I can't just ignore it.

If you happen to get hold of Zeitgeist, be patient with the extended introduction which is merely audio clips over black and is perhaps the weakest aspect of the movie. The arguments are strong enough and interesting enough once they get going that the non-theistic view as casual fact over melodramatic black screen is a little cheesy. And yes, I'm perhaps using what some call a non-word in cheesy but you do know what I mean by it so it stays.

Meanwhile, I'd actually like to see Zeitgeist intelligently answered point for point and proven wrong if anyone can do that.

No comments: