Sunday, April 6, 2008

April

In some cultures, April is not allowed. It is outlawed. So just be thankful that this month prevents March from slamming right into May in its big rush for June summer vacation.

I have not done my taxes yet, have no passport, and have not directed a feature film so needless to say I am boarderline psychotic.

I may turn The Fashion of the Christ into a feature just so that I can get past that hurdle in one's life, the feature film directing rite of passage that we all must go through.

I am almost forty, which means I am 39. Today is the day before we talk about MLK, who was 39 when he got shot. What have I contributed to earn assassination?

When I turned 33 I realized I had not lived as much life as Jesus had by that age or John Belishi, or Chris Farley for that matter. Where was my Best of compilation? The people haven't had a chance to turn on me yet. Now at 39 all I can do is maybe remember some of the lyrics to the U2 song about MLK Pride(In the Name of Love) "Early morning April 4, shot rings out in the memphis sky, free at last they took your life but they could not take your. . .something something. . . in the name of something."

And sadly all I remember was that when I first saw that video I thought Bono looked like a young Robin Williams.

What will The Fashion of the Christ do to help bring people together? Not much. Jesus will hopefully be played by a black actor. That is at the mercy of casting. I still need a non-union black Jesus with the personality one expects from that figure and also the chops for satire.

No comments: